Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Amazon Rain Forest, Brazil


I met with my host somewhere in Brazil, in the middle of the jungle. Everything looked so normal, as if nothing ever happened, just trees and animals. Soon we approached the village, hanging from trees, the houses made out of wood and resources easily found in this region. Here I talked to Fernando Oliveira, a surgeon. He told me about his experience with the "plague." He told me that the black market of organs was very popular, or used down in Brazil, and told me most of the origins of the organs, yes, mostly from Asia. He narrated me how everything occurred that day at the Hospital. He was supposed to do a heart transplant to some Austrian guy. The heart came from China, the flight was delayed, so they didn't have time to do any kinds of testings. was this an unwary decission, or just a desire to save a life? After some hours, Herr Mueller fell in a coma, yep, the heart was infected. Do you think this events helped the lague spread? I think that this situation, the black marketing of organs, brought from China helped spread the "plague" all aroud the globe, just helped, not provoqued the outbreaks. Also since the cause of this was unknown, I don't think they could have detected the virus untill the whole bloodstream was totally infected.

No comments: